Results in Durham City, North-East England
UNIQUELY set on horseshoe peninsula formed by the River Wear, Durham Cathedral is the final resting place of St. Cuthbert. The Lindisfarne saint was brought here in 995 AD from Chester-le-Street via Ripon to escape Scottish and Danish raids but the Anglo-Saxon Minster built at Durham was replaced by the present Norman Cathedral in 1093. The neighbouring castle also has Norman origins and was the main seat of the 'Prince Bishops' until 1837 when it became the home of University College five years after Durham University was founded. But Durham Cathedral is the jewel in the city's crown. It is a resting place to the great Northumbrian saints Cuthbert and Bede and is thus a monument to the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria. The Normans who built it introduced new architectural innovations that would change the face of religious architecture and strike awe into the hearts of the natives. As a city Durham is very small. It is centred on a small market place with adjoining narrow Medieval streets and although new developments have taken place the centre of the city is hardly bigger than it was in ancient times.