Results in Hartlepool, North-East England
NORTH of Teesmouth Old town dates from 7th century. West Hartlepool an industrial twin of 19th century, now both simply Hartlepool. Headland known as the Heugh reputedly named after Irish Princess Heiu, first abbess of monastery on site of present church. She was succeeded by St. Hilda, later famous as Abbess of Whitby. Town walled against the Scots, and a stretch of medieval wall still stands by the harbour. German Navy bombarded the Hartlepools, Whitby and Scarborough, in 1914. Seaton Carew is Hartlepool's seaside playground; attractive Georgian houses face the sea south of a trim green surrounded by houses of around 1830.