Results in Blanchland, North-East England
REMOTE in upper Derwent Valley surrounded by moorland, a greystone 'model village' built for lead miners in early 18th century round ruins of 13th century Blanchland Abbey. Little remains of the Abbey except tower and north transept. Gatehouse of about 1500 serves as an entrance to L-shaped 'square'. Village planned by trustees of Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham. In the famous Lord Crewe Arms are portraits of Lord and Lady Crewe and the latter's niece Dorothy Forster, who rescued her brother from Newgate after the 1715 Jacobite Rising.